25. February 2020 | tekom Danmark
13.00: Start of event.
1. Welcome and latest news from tekom (Holger Thater), 15 min.
2. Presentation 1: Observations on Software User Assistance (Matthew Ellison), 60 min.
Matthew shares his experiences over the past 25 years of observing people using a wide range of Help and User Assistance systems for software applications. He identifies usage patterns, trends in behaviour, and highlights some of the critical stumbling blocks that prevent users from finding the information they need. Matthew also identifies a range of quality criteria for effective user assistance and recommends some practical ways in which you can make your user assistance more accessible, easier to use, and more successful in answering the questions of real users.
You will learn:
- ·when and why people choose to use software user assistance
- ·why many people choose not to use software user assistance
- ·how people typically try to find the information they are looking for
- ·Matthew's top three reasons why user assistance can fail
- ·Matthew's top three tips for effective user assistance.
3. Coffee break, 15 min.
4. Presentation 2: Terminology Management at SAP SE (Mark D. Childress), 60 min.
How does terminology get from inside a company to its customers on the outside? Or just as important: How does term data get from employees to other employees, or from one part of a company to another? Who needs what, and how much - is there such a thing as "too much"?
Mark will give an overview of how term management supports business, improves quality, and reduces costs at Europe's largest software company.
5. Coffee break, 15 min.
Jan and Carmen will present a method for assessing the quality of specialized knowledge conveyed in websites of expert senders like academic journals or professional companies. Their method has been developed in a number of studies of such communication over the last 10 years. Focus has been upon what happens when journals and other professional senders switch from mainly communicating through written texts towards websites as digitized contexts and towards video as a central medium. The idea is to assess the value that is added when the knowledge is communicated through new channels and to describe where problems arise. They will present the method and the criteria that we use for categorizing types of knowledge and the quality of the knowledge building processes. Method and criteria will be demonstrated on a number of concrete examples.
7. Coffee break, 15 min.
8. Presentation 4: Communication – Just a job or true passion? (Maiken Blok-Wahlgreen), 30 min.
Maiken shares her experience of being a communication graduate and the choices she has made based on her previous work experience. If you are concerned about your future job opportunities, join her for a lively presentation of her journey from pharmaceutical research over marketing to technical communication. Maiken will talk about the many opportunities candidates with communications studies have after graduation.
- How do you apply your theoretical knowledge?
- How do you find the right job for you?
- Which competences do companies look for?
All these questions will be answered and you will have the opportunity to ask all your questions during the presentation.
9. Light meal and networking
18.00: End of event.
- Date of the event
- 25.02.2020 | 13:00 - 18:00
- Event location
- Aarhus University, room 1481-366, Jens Chr. Skous Vej 4, 8000 Aarhus C.
- Matthew Ellison, Mark D. Childress, Maiken Blok-Wahlgreen, Jan Engberg and Carmen Daniela Maier
- How to get there
If you arrive by public transportation, you can take L2 directly from the train station to the university. The stop is called Aarhus Universitet (Ringgaden). You can see more by clicking here to see more in Google Maps or here to see more in the Journey planner.
If you go by car, you can reach out to Maiken to get instructions for parking.
- Available seats
- Contact person
- Holger Thater, +45 2912 5990
- Contact email
- Download schedule
- Conditions of Participation
With the participation in the event you accept the conditions of participation for country organization events and information on data protection.
Are you a tekom member or do you have already a user account?
You don't have a user account for 'my tekom'?
Register for the event using the form. You will receive a registration confirmation by email.